Thursday 6 October 2016

Finding My Joy

At the beginning of 2016, I picked my word for the year. It was 'Joy'; finding it, creating it, maintaining it, and spreading it. 2015 had been a pretty crummy year and I needed this year not to follow in the same direction. I know that has a lot to do with me and my mindset, but there are also a few things I can do to help the joy come a little easier. I still struggle from time to time, but we are half way through the year and more times than not, I've been finding that joy.


Visual reminder
on my phone I have a wallpaper that reminds me about my 2016 word. I change it each month so that it's always fresh and remains a reminder.

Do Something I love each day
I've made a visual list of some of the things that I enjoy doing most and I try to do at least one of those things each day for minimum 20 minutes.

Let go
Let go of all the negative feelings. I read once about releasing feelings of anger and anxiety within 30 seconds of it occurring. That way when you thing back to that moment of intense negative feeling you won't actually get worked up all over again. I have tried to incorporate this into my life and it has made me genuinely feel happier. (full disclosure* I do on occasion allow myself to stew in the negative emotions as well. It's all about balance, I think.)

Be proactive
Don't just talk about it, do it. Summer in Canada is oh so very short. Putting off visiting that pop up market or going to Shakespeare in the park will probably mean you will be waiting until next time to do the things you want to do.

Have reminders of things that bring you joy
As my computer screensaver I have a slide show of my last trip to England. Print pictures of a favourite event, keep collections in view to remind you of things that bring you joy.

De-clutter
I don't just mean physically clean up and get rid of unwanted/unnecessary things. More than that, de-clutter your email. Unsubscribe to those pesky emails. You know the ones I mean. Those email newsletters that come in almost daily that you keep intending to read, but never actually do and when the next one comes in you delete the first one, just to start the cycle all over again. Stop. No one will have to know, all you have to do is open up that email and hit 'unsubscribe'. You will feel so much better about it after. Trust me.

Fresh Air
Walk the dog, have lunch al fresco, bring the laptop outside to work, hell Pokemon Go! Just get out into nature at least once a day. Take a moment to take in mother nature, in all her natural glory. Your psyche will thank you for it.

How do you find your joy?


Don't miss a post! 
Sign up for email posts (found on the sidebar), like my facebook page, or follow me on bloglovin'. You can also keep up with my instagram feed and I occasionally tweet.

Let's get social

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's discuss!



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...