Friday 20 April 2018

5 Things You Don't Want to Miss Out on This Summer in Toronto

Canada, I know it's hard to remember what life was like without snow and cold and general winter grayness, but trust. Summer is coming. And maybe even sooner than we can imagine with an ice storm hammering the city this past weekend and 12 degrees Celsius called for this weekend. Not to get too ahead of myself, but I'm already preparing my annual warmer months 'To Do' list of all the things I want to make sure I do while I can. Although I have an extensive list of things, I've whittled it down to 5 items that I think you should join me in doing. Some are Toronto specific, but many are general ways in which one can soak in the summer sun and take a moment to appreciate the warmth while we still can. 


1 Festivals

The summer calendar in Toronto is chockablock of festivals. Art festivals, various food festivals, fairs, and markets. I adore them all! Of particular note (and one of my favourites!) is the Toronto Cider Fest, started 4 years, this festival has grown each year, both in size and popularity. This year's festivities will take place the last weekend in August (Friday 24-Saturday 25) and have a Wild West theme. As per usual there will be live music, contests, lawn games, flair cider cocktail bar tending competition, and over 100 ciders from the best apple growing regions of Canada and internationally. New this year is a Friday night session which is to include a country night with a country music band, line dancing, and mechanical bull riding. You do not want to miss out on the Toronto Cider Fest and right now until May 1st at midnight, there are early bird tickets on sale $30-$60 and I'll see you there!



2 Farmers markets

All over Toronto there are farmers markets. Small ones run by community groups and larger ones aiming to pull in more than just the surrounding neighbours. The fresh produce and locally crafted artisan foods are a marker of warm summer days. Sure you could go to the grocery store and fondle the peaches, but it's just not the same if while fondling your fruit you have a chat with the farmer who grew and picked them. 


3 Outdoor movies

I don't know why, but one of my most favourite things to do in the summer is to watch movies outdoors. Maybe it's because winter is just so darn long that when I have the ability to be outside with fresh air, I want to spend as much time as possible out there enjoying it to the fullest. And outdoor movies seems to be a thing that's catching on, with offerings all over the city; east end, waterfront, west end. I'm sure there's one in the north end too but nobody ever goes up there! (I kid! I kid!)


4 Lakefront and Beaches

I mean, when is it better to plant your butt down in sandy shores than in the summer time? Even with no events or special activities Toronto beaches are the shizzel. Cherry Beach, Woodbine Beach, Hanlan's Point, Ward's Island Beach, Bluffer's Park, Sunnyside, Sugar Beach to name just a few found along Lake Ontario's shoreline. Not such a fan of sand? Just head to any of the lakefront boardwalks. Specifically, I suggest the Martin Goodman Trail that starts in Mimico (west Toronto) and follows the waterfront, with little interruption, all the way to The Beaches (east Toronto). 


5 Patios

Summer in the city means patio living. Sidewalks fill up with chairs and tables, rooftops get the same treatment. Everyone and their dog can be found sunning their faces and downing cold beverages. We love patio life so much in Toronto that it becomes a little challenging at times to find empty seats. If you are able to snag a table at your local patio bar, stake a claim and move for no one! It's almost as coveted as reasonably priced Toronto real estate. 



Don't miss a post! 
Sign up for email posts (found on the sidebar), like my facebook page, or follow me on bloglovin'. You can also keep up with my instagram feed and I occasionally tweet.

Let's get social

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's discuss!



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...